Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Festive Side Dish: French Potato Salad
(From the 4th of July Camping Menu)
This is a simple potato dish that everyone loves. It's attractive and addictive and it just happens to be vegan. Because olive oil is used rather than mayo, this keeps well on a camping trip or cook-out. Use a thin-skinned potato of any kind - as long as it doesn't have that thick, rough skin that baking potatoes have, it'll be great.
French Potato Salad
6-8 large potatoes, thoroughly scrubbed and cut into bit-sized pieces
olive oil, about 3/4 c.
dried or fresh herbs to your taste, such as oregano, basil or parsley
salt & pepper
1. Thoroughly scrub the potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces.
2. Put the potatoes in a large pot of water, bring it to a boil, then generously salt the water.
3. Cook the potatoes until just tender, around 8 minutes but check them at 5.
4. Drain the potatoes in a colander.
5. In a large bowl, dress the potatoes with olive oil until each piece is lightly coated.
6. Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
Return to the 4th of July Camping Menu.