Friends and readers regularly ask me for vegetarian recipes, so on our camping trip this past weekend I substituted vegetarian "meatless" meatballs for the real thing in my meatball wedge recipe.
The vegetarian version was a big hit - the kids ate them all up. But first they asked, "What kind of meatballs are these?" "Pork," I said.
Vegetarian Meatball Wedges
Adapted from The Real Family Camping Cookbook.
16 frozen vegetarian meatballs – I used Trader Joe's meatless meatballs.
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
4 hamburger rolls – you can use hero rolls, but I never remember to buy them.
½ lb. of Mozzarella cheese or vegan cheese
salt & pepper
1. Empty the jar of spaghetti sauce into a skillet and bring it to a simmer.
2. Add the meatballs and return to a simmer.
3. Place two slices of Mozzarella cheese on each roll and grill the roll until the cheese melts.
4. When the meatballs are heated through, spoon 4 meatballs with sauce onto each roll.
5. Serve with extra sauce for dipping.
P.S. Vegetarian "meat" keeps well, making it an ideal camping food.
“Miracles are like meatballs, because nobody can exactly agree on what they are made of, where they come from, or how often they should appear.” - Lemony Snicket