I was standing by the camp stove one day with a nearly-full bottle of curry powder in one hand and a crusty, old spatula in the other. "Want a curried grilled cheese sandwich?" I asked my seven year old. "OK," he said. "But just a little curry, OK?" "Sure," I said."Just a little." and then I dumped about a truckload of curry onto his sandwich.
You can guess the rest! He loved it! He loved his yummy, weird, super-curried grilled cheese sandwich! And I got to eat the crusts.
The secret to this festive and slightly fancy sandwich is that curry, while flavorful, isn't very hot-spicy. And melted cheese - delicious, bland melted cheese - is the perfect vehicle for the curry. It's personality without the aggression. And really, what's better than that?
Curried grilled cheese every day! And twice on Sunday!
Grilled Cheese and Curry
2 slices of bread - any kind will do. In fact, any kind will be perfect.
2 slices of cheese – a bland, white cheese is a nice foil for the curry. A vegan cheese works great here, too, as long as it's the kind that melts.
butter or vegan butter
salt & pepper
1. Melt 1 T. of butter in a skillet, and add one slice of bread.
2. Lay both slices of cheese on the bread.
3. Sprinkle the cheese with 1 tor 2 t. of curry powder.
4. Butter the 2nd slice of bread, and lay it butter-side down on the sandwich in the skillet.
5. When browned on the bottom, flip the sandwich. Cover the skillet and let the sandwich brown and the cheese melt.
• Try with sliced tomatoes or thinly sliced scallions. Very nice indeed.